If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Hilda McCauley

"Yes, tranquil, such a tranquil hour...like this."

Communion with ancients
white linen,
dust suspends before the curtain.
Crusted chairs
purchased the early part of last century.
Yellow ochre wallpaper
tarnished brass.

Mrs. McCauley stands
in the center of this room
her face
the power of the ages.

"He used to sit ther' in the winda
by the chair
watching the white bird in the gilded cage.
Warm bed, he fed upon
fish and vittles.
Such a joy!

At the foot of the yard
next ta' Mrs. Price's piece.
I buried him, Father.
Such a lovely cat."

Voice fading to whisper
Gaze suspending an empty room.

Crow's 'ca-cawing'
dividing the sky
St. Mary's bell pealing
bringing this moment to nigh.

Passersby stream from the church
in the bright Winter air.

No comments: