If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Sunday, November 18, 2012

1000 Gnats Flitter




In the flickering of the sun beneath the cedars
1000 gnats flit
and the little boy in his red shirt 
flashing in the vacant lot 
I have never known more of paradise. 
Leaning back to gaze through the heavy laden apple  branches
and I have never been more there than now
(so much simpler than widely imagined).

The gossamer filaments radiate in rainbow light
and the spiral web beneath the cedar limbs
so-well equipped to capture evening’s flutter
from the green grass  to the sunken limbs
the golden light splashes upon.

Two squirrels romance and game in luxuriance 
while July’s poet contemplates the ‘be’
 and ‘to be’
of the birds’ persistent whistle.

No comments: