If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Snegoruchka

From my window I recognize her in the flesh!
Green swirl of ecstasy
Struck in wonder I stumble
Oh, worlds that tumble by!
Oh, treasure in her laughing brown eyes!
She was Summer to me
And I would fain to believe
To see her when the creeks were crusted
In jagged ice.
She gathers the light that filters through Topol trees
Carrying the Summer back to me.

Rivers and streams are drunk in blue
Lolling heavy beneath the willow’s jagged hand.
Heavy crystal clutter
Mesmerizes my soul
I submit to this grey sterility as to slumber.

Snegoruchka, the Winter Princess is captive
To howling, aching fright
To pound every strong drink that Old Winter brews
This tipsy snowfooted muse!

Merry o’er the woodlands we go
Laughing and dreaming and singing!!!
Winter calls out in a tinkle of bells:
“Who goes there in the openness of day?”
“Those who believe in Light,” we cried.

Winter curses and summons legions
Of winter nymphs, and winter demons, and little itsybitsy
Devilkins
To stall the winter wanderers in their joyful step.

When Jack-in-the-Green
Has led his leafy company
To a dull retreat
‘neath December’s earthen fleece;
Father Christmas rouses
From his elemental sleep
And gathers little beasts
And tender green boughs.


No comments: