If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Saturday, February 04, 2017

One Percenters in Ancient Times

Much is made of the excessive luxury of billionaires these days---and indeed it is excessive---there is a great divide, even exponential, between us and them. However it should also be noted that there have been days of greater wealth divides---think of the ancient Kings of Israel---what do you think the wealth of King Solomon would be like in terms of current money measurement? I do not think you could actually measure it in trillions of dollars! But this is a false comparison---I mention it just to provoke thought. What do you reckon the pyramid of King Amenhotep or Tutankhamen of ancient Egypt were worth in current dollar measurement? Food for thought!


No comments: