If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

I want to share with you...A mysterious song! A most mysterious song!


I offer you a song that has haunted me for years and given me hours of sheer wonder considering the meaning of the lyrics. Here is the link to Youtube so that you can hear this masterpiece of dramatic choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9LJkyZU-QM


Al Stewart- One Stage Before  1975

It seems to me as though I've been upon this stage before
And juggled away the night for the same old crowd
These harlequins you see with me, they too have held the floor
As here once again they strut and they fret their hour
I see those half-familiar faces in the second row
Ghost-like with the footlights in their eyes
But where or when we met like this last time I just don't know
It's like a chord that rings and never dies
For infinity


And now these figures in the wings with all their restless tunes
Are waiting around for someone to call their names
They walk the backstage corridors and prowl the dressing-rooms
And vanish to specks of light in the picture-frames
But did they move upon the stage a thousand years ago
In some play in Paris or Madrid?
And was I there among them then, in some travelling show
And is it all still locked inside my head
For infinity


And some of you are harmonies to all the notes I play
Although we may not meet still you know me well
While others talk in secret keys and transpose all I say
And nothing I do or try can get through the spell
So one more time we'll dim the lights and ring the curtain up
And play again like all the times before
But far behind the music you can almost hear the sounds
Of laughter like the waves upon the shores
Of infinity


Guitar solo played by Tim Renwick: Drums: Stuart Elliot
Produced by Alan Parsons Recorded at Abbey Road Studio

Now my commentary:
It seems to me as though I've been upon this stage before self-referential, especially if one is performing the song on stage
And juggled away the night for the same old crowd 

Which gives a clue to the song's title---one stage before.
These harlequins you see with me, they too have held the floor
Harlequins-fellow players.
As here once again they strut and they fret their hour

they too have been here before (deja vu)
I see those half-familiar faces in the second row
Ghost-like with the footlights in their eyes

what a masterful poetic perception! And note its realism, he even desfcribes the lighting.
But where or when we met like this last time I just don't know

Here is a deep mystery
It's like a chord that rings and never dies
tying in the song itself and noting its endless temporality
For infinity



And now these figures in the wings with all their restless tunes
verse two introduces a new cast of characters---not players.
Are waiting around for someone to call their names

spirits of music itself or the tunes which enliven this stage
They walk the backstage corridors and prowl the dressing-rooms
And vanish to specks of light in the picture-frames

these characters are transported on specks of light and vanish in paintings
But did they move upon the stage a thousand years ago
In some play in Paris or Madrid?
And was I there among them then, in some travelling show

Was I there?---the singer reveals himself
And is it all still locked inside my head

Is this all in his head--i.e., hallucination
For infinity


And some of you are harmonies to all the notes I play
Now he addresses those who are listening---calls them 'harmonies' to his notes.
Although we may not meet still you know me well

When I first met Al Stewart in Seattle, I shook his hand and quoted this line. 
But many others who never meet Al "still [may] know him well."While others talk in secret keys and transpose all I say
There are others who talk in secret key (signatures) and transpose these lyrics
And nothing I do or try can get through the spell

This causes a 'spell' through which the singer cannot penetrate.
So one more time we'll dim the lights and ring the curtain up

So one more time-fulfilling the title:One More Stage. Also, "So" as in therefore...And play again like all the times before
To play again like all the times before. Are all stages one four dimensional outpouring?
But far behind the music you can almost hear the sounds

But----behind this song you might hear something else that is almost audible---
it is laughter like wavesOf laughter like the waves upon the shores
Of infinity

Upon the shores of infinity. 

This is merely my "take" on the song, each one may come to his own interpretation. However, remember that the interpretation that is 'optimal' accounts for the meaning of the verses without importing ideas and images that are not literally there.

The Music
The song begins with an eery and hypnotic 12 string guitar strumming in a basic triple meter between Em and C. The beat is a complex meter when you listen to the syncopated hi-hat rhythm. When I met the drummer who played this song for Al Stewart in Seattle the night I met the entire band and partied with them (the same drummer that played for 
the Spencer Davis Group), he showed me how to play the hi-hat figure.

The bass is prominent in the first verse. "For INFINITY" ends verse one-and here the producer adds more reverb to Al's voice which renders an eery feel. And for the next verse a low fuzzy synthesized tone adds an obsessive backdrop to verse 2. "For INFINITY" is sung with yet more reverb, sounding very eery. The cumulative energy keeps building as verse 3 opens. Now the synthesized voice is in a treble register. What an amazing choice.
"OF INFINITY" adds a twinkling bell phrase that ushers in the guitar solo.

THe guitar solo is truly one of my favorites. It is well known that Al stewart has a reputation of hiring many fine guitarists, moreover in the choice of Tim Renwick, who played on Al's previous two albums the familiarity seems to grow until he plays this masterful piece. Alan Parsons also produced the two albums leading up to Year of The Cat, the album from which this song is pulled. The solo is played on a stratocaster, if I am not mistaken.

The solo plays over the chord changes: Em/C/Em/C  [Capo at the 3rd fret---sounds in Gm]
The alternating phrase in the verses is G---D/F#--C--Am  Em/C
The bridge begins in G
G--D--C--G/B--Am
D--Am--Bm
C--G/B--Am--G--D/F#--Em
Am--D--B--Em ("for INFINITY") Notice how the B chord sets up the key phrase: FOR INFINITY

Notice what the drummer plays behind the solo---it is as good as it gets in studio drumming---Stuart Elliot.

The final note of the solo seems to fade into the wind sounding synth production, like "a speck of light into a picture frame."
There is more that I could say about this eery and wonderful song but I prefer listening to music rather than talking about it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The spirit of the versed fanfare wants to identify and delineate and yet commingle the art and the artist
Some fans get into the dressing room wandering if the artist is his own hero
Yet the specks of light are limited and can't fathom into what the frame occludes
Nor can Al know what the frame cutt of eithor

Scriptor said...

Thanks Al for the comment---there's in no doubt that Year of the Cat was one of those special gathering of musical forces---Alan Parsons also produced 'Modern Times' and 'Time Passages'---in my opinion some of the songs from these albums are equal to the songs on Years of the Cat, but the "gel" or the "alchemy" that makes an album all of one piece----almost a concept album---versus an album that is a compilation of really good songs---is cemented in the production and this has to do with lots of minute choices how to present this music.

jucapa said...


This song is certainly a "time passage"...thanks for the link and your "optimal" interpretation of the lyrics.

Scriptor said...

To Jucapa:
Thanks you for acknowledging the 'optimal interpretation' which is an expression that I got from Professor Kockelmans. And, the part of meeting the band is absolutely true--what a fine memory this is!

They played a mid-sized theatre in Seattle---something with a name like 'Paladium'---it was a double show Dave Mason opening for AL Stewart at say 3pm and then the entire show again at 6PM.

I saw the afternoon show and was overwhelmed by the music and poetry, I do recall hearing 'One Stage Before'. Well to cut a long story short---after the 'matinee' I circled the block a few times still amazed at the musical outpouring I had just witnessed! A thought jumped into my head---I have to meet Al Stewart! Turning the corner from the avenue I spotted with my eye these words: STAGE (To enter ring bell)...so I took the word at its immediate truth, and rang the bell. A young kid with straggly hair pulled open the door and looked at me without a word, somehow I instinctively knew to say, "I am here to meet Al Stewart." He just stood there. As I moved into the door I felt I should pretend that I knew which way to go, so I walked straightforward, sensing which way I should go. Smoke seemed to be wafting up from a stairwell opening to my right. I started down the stairs. Yes!! My gambit worked, I was inside.

I drank Heineken with the band and ate snacks. After meeting the drummer, Dave Mason, and even Al Stewart (thanks Al!), somehow I was invited to join the band onstage. I sat through the second show taking in what was from my eyesight an initiation into this amazing song. And you can't rule out any of that. So many lives are lived like flattened wafers.

Scriptor said...

When I say that I was invited onstage, it was not to play, but I got to sit there in a little fold-able chair and watch the whole show unfold right in front of my eyes! The big songs were Year of the Cat, and Song on the Radio, Time Passages...but of all those songs, I think "One Stage Before" best expresses this magic and wonderful memory.