If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Chomsky Was Right: We Do have Grammar in Our Head


Lately I have been pondering the manner in which language works and a close friend forwarded this article concerning Chomsky's view of grammar which is deeply embedded in our language.

My interest is slightly different than Chomsky's however his work may be used to support my thesis. The main thrust of my idea is that "language speaks man"---this phrase comes of course from Heidegger. It dovetails neatly with the research I am presently conducting on poetry and how meaning "rises up" to language.

It is a technical discussion to be sure and I will not bore the reader at this point with technicalities! The upshot of my research will have immense potential for application in the current cultural milieu: in medicine, advertising, education and explain how humans interact with computing and law enforcement.
This might sound like an overstatement---overly bold---but if I can hammer out this idea and then get appropriate support for empirical research, I will be able to provide a set of practical suggestions which will be of great value in promoting ethical culture in the USA.

I will provide one example: Though the AMA and the medical establishment, with well intended do-gooders, advertize "awareness" for cancer for example Susan Komen fundraisers, and the pink cancer advocates which are found ubiquitously in the cultural lifeworld (on water bottles, billboards, pink ribbons, etc., etc... Their intention is to promote awareness of women's breast cancer with an eye toward treating this malady---whether it be in terms of treatment or education, the proponents of this movement are not aware that this 'awareness' actually promotes the incidence of cancer.
How is this so?

It is well known phenomenon that advertizing possesses subliminal impact upon buying behavior---both conscious and unconscious encounters with images and words actually promotes and manifests the effect of buying behavior and desire---why should this be any different with promoting pink awareness.?

I am only at the very beginning of this research project and being that I am merely mortal as well as finite, a lone researcher without any institutional funding, you will have to be patient--this will take a great deal of effort to produce results. There is no doubt in my mind that other researchers will join me in this undertaking but it will take time.  


Click for link to article...

No comments: