If I’d lived my life by what others were thinkin’, the heart inside me would’ve died

I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Someone had to reach for the risin’ star, I guess it was up to me

"Up to Me" by Bob Dylan)

Monday, July 19, 2004

Time and the Moon

An opaline disc radiates the water’s edge
And mirrors its glare;
Highlighting the dusty scum there;
Persistent gnats batter unheard.
June first of two thousand and four
Seventeen year cicada dance
Rising up from the root floor.
To clatter in sex frenzy---
orange munchkin men!
Screeching their metallic hiss
In unearthly battle choir.

Time for the moon
Bound to earth by a leash
Surveying civilization without cease
Like a priestcraft of police.

Who reckon the hour of man’s demise;
Lunar dust crunched
Beneath boots of astronauts,
Lonely footsteps treading
Into the future desert
The busy highpriests plot.

Weaving, devising, like a spider in waiting,
Undimming in focus,
Serenading the fates.

A merry dance, the wild birds cry,
The opaline disc
Announces midnight
And surrenders its borrowed light.
The village feast cracks open wide
While the earth rests

No comments: